What is safeagent?
safeagent is the UK’s leading accreditation scheme for lettings and management agents operating in the Private Rented Sector. Established in 1999 by the Empty Homes Agency as The National Approved Letting Scheme (NALS) with the backing of the industry, the aim was to establish a single badge for consumers to look for and understand the service and protections a firm offered through adherence to strict accreditation criteria. Recently rebranded as safeagent, we are well-respected – recognised by Government, consumer groups and industry bodies. safeagent is the only agent organisation whose sole focus is consumer protection, operating across the UK on a not-for-profit basis.
safeagent operates a Government approved Client Money Protection Scheme protecting landlords and tenants money held by our agents.
Tenants and landlords can have confidence in safeagent firms because they have agreed to:
- Meet defined standards of customer service
- Be part of a Client Money Protection Scheme
- Have a written customer complaints procedure available on request offering adjudication through a redress scheme
- Have current Professional Indemnity Insurance
- Hold a dedicated client bank account designated as only holding clients money
- Commit to an annual independent inspection of their client accounting procedures
These requirements and service standards provide protection and security for both tenants and landlords.
How do firms become safeagent accredited?
If you are an agent to find out more simply apply online.
If you are a tenant or a landlord and have a query about the process agents must complete before they become safeagent accredited just contact us.