SAFEagent supports Gas Safety Week 2015 – all this week!
It’s Gas Safety Week 2015: 14th – 20th September!
Gas Safety Week is an annual safety week to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances. It is co-ordinated by Gas Safe Register with support from the gas industry including retailers, manufacturers, consumer bodies and the public.
Once again, the SAFEagent community has united to get behind the campaign as yet another opportunity to demonstrate their commitment to the well-being and safety of their tenants and also their commitment to professional standards.
Did you know?
- Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. It is a highly poisonous gas. You can’t see it, taste it or smell it, but it can kill quickly with no warning.
- Gas Safe Register estimates that there are around 7,500 illegal gas fitters operating across the UK and up to 250,000 illegal gas jobs may be carried out each year (Gas Safe Register Research 2009).
- Although there is awareness that gas appliances need to be safety checked annually, 43% of Britons don’t do it, and 10% have gas appliances which have never been checked.
Follow Gas Safe Register’s advice this Gas Safety Week and beyond:
- Visit www.staygassafe.co.uk to find out about the gas dangers and risks in your area
- Get all of the gas appliances in your home safety checked and maintained annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer – this will ensure that your appliances continue to work safely
- Sign up to have a gas safety check reminder sent to you annually so that you never forget to keep you and your family safe
- Don’t fall victim to illegal gas work – only use a Gas Safe registered engineer and ask to see their Gas Safe ID card.
- Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working correctly. A lazy yellow flame, black marks or stains around the appliance, or too much condensation in the room are all signs that your appliances aren’t safe.
To find a Gas Safe registered engineer and for more general gas safety advice visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.
Find out more about Gas Safety Week 2015 and how you can get involved here.